Hair Color Correction: What to Expect and How to Prepare Guide
Have you ever been told that you need a color correction to get the color you want? You may be wondering, “What is a color correction? What does it involve? And do I even want one?”
We’ll try to make this as simple as possible. Every color situation is different and every color correction is complicated. Generally, there are two types of color corrections. Both involve changing previously artificially colored hair. However, virgin hair may also require color corrections. The first type of color correction involves making dark color much lighter. The other involves making light color much darker. Both may involve multiple color services, sometimes done all in one day and sometimes done over a period of weeks or months. Color correction services can be costly, time-consuming, and even damaging to the hair.
If you’re looking for a big change in your hair color, here’s what we recommend: Give your hair salon a call and ask if they do complimentary hair color consultations. Let them know if you have colored hair and that you’re looking for a big change (whether lighter or darker) and want to talk to a professional colorist about your options. They’ll be able to book the right amount of time for your consultation.
When you go for your consultation, make sure you bring: Pictures of what you want to do to your hair and an honest list of your color history (anything you’ve done to your hair, including treatments). Let them know if you’re pregnant or have an allergy to color.
Ask lots of questions and make sure your colorist gives you a few different options to choose from. Get price quotes and an approximate time of how long you should expect to be at the salon that day.
If you don’t have a salon that you call home yet, book at least three consultations with different salons. This will help you make a better decision for the health and outcome of your hair.
Don’t try to do it yourself at home! Color is complicated and different for every person. Leave it to the professionals.
After your consultation, you should have a good idea of how to proceed. With the right team of hair professionals by your side, you can achieve amazing results anytime you want to change your look!
How to Prepare for Your Hair Color Correction Appointment:
Once you’ve found the right hair salon and made an appointment, it’s important to prepare for your hair color correction. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have all the necessary supplies. This can include things like a brush, comb, professional color care products, and any other styling aids you may need.
- Clean and condition your hair the day before your appointment. This will ensure that your colorist has the best possible canvas to work with.
- Have realistic expectations. Be prepared to have multiple color services, as this is often necessary to achieve the desired result.
- Bring pictures of what you want to do to your hair to your appointment. This will help your colorist understand your vision and make sure you get the look you want.
- Talk to your colorist about the process and what you can expect. They should be able to provide you with an estimate of how much time the appointment will take.
- Be prepared for the cost. Color corrections can be costly and time-consuming, so be sure to ask for a price quote and take into account any additional fees that may be incurred.
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed, it’s OK to take a break. You don’t have to make any major decisions in one day. Take some time to think about it and talk to your colorist about what options you have.
- Finally, remember that the right team of hair professionals can help you achieve amazing results. With their help, you can get the color you want and make sure that it stays healthy and vibrant.
- Before your appointment, make sure you’re well rested and hydrated. This will help ensure that you’re in the best possible state of mind to make decisions and that your hair is healthy and ready for the service.
SUMMARY: Color corrections involve changing previously artificially colored hair, and can be costly, time-consuming, and damaging. It is recommended to book a complimentary hair color consultation with a professional colorist, and to bring pictures of what you want to do to your hair and an honest list of your color history. Preparation for the appointment includes having the necessary supplies, cleaning and conditioning the hair the day before, and making sure you are well-rested and hydrated.
If you’re looking for a big change in your hair color, don’t hesitate to book a complimentary hair color consultation with a Highlight Salon professional colorist. With the right team of hair professionals by your side, you can achieve amazing results anytime you want to change your look!